Welcome to the Data Lake Concepts resource site. The concept of data lakes was first introduced in 2010 and interest has grown steadily. While definitions vary wildly, a data lake is a data platform that can be very useful…or completely useless. Some define it narrowly as a repository for storing most or all of the data that an organization collects and creates in its native format. In other cases, the data lake may be the central repository for analytics for an organization. Read a more detailed overview in Data Lake 101: Definitions. This site is designed to aggregate helpful news and content about Data Lakes. Please contact us if you have Data Lake News to share.
Data Lake Featured Content
In an ideal world, a data lake should keep data in a way that makes it readily available. That’s why the tools put into the lake are so important. Otherwise, it’s just a blob. Click here to hear what experts have to say.
Given the rise in data lake adoption, it’s important to know where and when a cloud data lake as a service may be most effective. Click here to see seven scenarios where a cloud data lake as a service is your best option.
However you define the data lake, it’s clear that there is interest in the concept, as well as success rates and ROI. Click here to see the latest analyst stats and anecdotal evidence, data lake levels are continuing to rise.
Data Lake Articles and News
- Database Trends & Applications: The Future of Data Lakes: Cloud, Object Stores, and Spark
- Forbes: What is the Data Lake? A Super Simple Explanation for Anyone
- McKinsey: A Smarter Way To Jump Into Data Lakes
- CIO: 5 Things CIOs Need to Know About Data Lakes
- Dataversity: Data Lake Management Reaches Maturity
- Information Management: 3 Reasons Why the Future of Data Lakes is in the Cloud
- Data Center News: How to Stop Data Lakes from Getting Swamped
- IBM Big Data & Analytics: Get Out of the Data Swamp with a Governed Data Lake
- Eckerson Group: The Truth About Data Lakes in Plain English
- Oracle Big Data Blog: Interactive Data Lake Queries at Scale
- Solutions Review: 4 Data Lakes Tools Vendors to Watch in 2018
- Dataversity: In Defense of the Data Swamp
- Arcadia Data: My 4 Key Takeaways on Data Lakes from the Gartner Data and Analytics Summit 2018
- Analytics India: Data Lake: What it Takes to do it Right
- Tech Republic: How to Keep your Data Lakes Clear and Navigable
- AWS: Deploying a Data Lake on AWS (video)
Data Lake Definitions
Get your Data Lake 101 here, including key terms, definitions and more recommended reading.
Analyst Resources about Data Lakes
Gartner Inc, the tech analyst firm, has been in the middle of the data lake debate.
Learn More About Cazena’s Data Lake as a Service Solutions
From Cazena Resources:
- Case Study: Carlson Wagonlit Travel
- Performance Testing Impala and Spark on Azure Data Lake Store vs. HDFS
- Webinar: Hadoop in the Cloud Featuring Guess Speaker, Forrester’s Mike Gaultieri
- Forbes: Understanding the Next Generation of Analytics: Cazena’s Big Data Infrastructure Compiler